When it comes to Solomon Islands music, Elexter JR is arguably the most refreshing new songster on the block. He broke into the local music scene in 2020 with his hit single "Honey" and ever since, the highly optimistic Western Province dude has never looked back. One of his latest releases, "Lo Honiara", is currently trending on the local radio stations. 

The Solomon Review (TSR) sat down with the super talented singer to talk about his music.

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us Elexter. We've listened to all of your songs and we must say that we do love what you're doing. 

Oh, that's very kind of you! 

You're welcome. To get us started, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Elexter Bulehite Junior and I'm from the Western Solomons. I'm 25 and I'm the 6th child in a family of 7. I'm a current student at the Fiji National University.

We have to say that your music is beautiful. It's heartwarming to learn that more people are starting to listen to your wonderful songs and that's not only here in the Solomons but outside of the country too. Just fill us in on how it all started for you.

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has been so kind enough to listen to my songs so far. It's an out-of-this-world feeling to know that people are enjoying your songs, to be honest. Me, I guess music has always been with me since I was a kid. I love it and I'd like to treat it as a gift. My musical taste has been greatly influenced by the experiences that I have had in life.

"Honey" was the first single that I heard from you. I must say that it definitely deserves more airplay taking into account its lyric and all that has gone into its production. Was that the first recording that you did?

I actually did one song together with Ismuki and Jungle Juice prior to "Honey". At that time, my name was "NIA" but then I changed it to Elexter JR because I thought "NIA" was not catchy enough to be an artist's name.

I see. Now looking at how many people have viewed "Honey" on YouTube, I guess that is one of your big songs so far. What about "Honey" do you think people like?

I think people like it because they can relate to its lyrics and the song itself has a cool vibe I guess.

So in short, what is "Honey" about?

"I guess there are so ways
 to make a song."
"Honey" is literally sweet. In this song, I'd like to sing about the feeling of missing that sweetness. Yeah, it's a song about missing somebody close to one's heart.

Talk us through the process of creating your songs.

I normally use one of these three processes. 1. I write down the lyrics and then use the guitar to find the harmony and beat. 2. I write the lyrics and then download beats to create a song and 3. I use my mobile to record whatever harmony comes to my mind and then use the guitar to create the song. I guess there are so ways to make a song

That's insightful. Who do you actually look up to in your musical undertakings?

My all-time idols are Justin Bieber and James Arthur.

One dope thing that I noticed about you is your easy-going spirit plus your contagious friendliness. I guess that is one of the reasons why you don't have any difficulties collaborating with other artists. Having said that, what are the upsides of collaborating with fellow musical artists?

You said it right. I'm very easy going and I love being around different people. Of course, teaming up with other artists is one good way to learn. I personally learn a lot of things from my time with other artists. The fun thing about meeting together as artists are we will have time to help build each other's weaknesses and then maximize our strengths, especially in the area of songwriting.

Your latest single, "Lo Honiara", is slowly becoming a hit, not only in Honiara but across the Pacific too. What is the song about?

It is a song about a relationship that has memories and stories in Honiara. It's about a girl from Vanuatu and a guy from the Solomons. To cut the long story short, the relationship didn't work out and both individuals have since pathed ways but the memories in Honiara remain.

We all have challenges as humans. I bet you are not spared too as an artist. Do you have any notable hurdles that you would like to share with our readers?

Well as an artist, creating something that people love will always be a challenge. In the Solomons, a lot of people are more into the local music style. So definitely it's always going to be an uphill battle creating something that will suit people's ears. Finding the right producer too is another challenge here. There's always a trending style as far as music is concerned but not every producer out here can produce something that can match the current styles of music. Besides that, in this country, it is hard to earn a living out of music. We have a lot of talented artists and producers in the country, but maybe training or something is missing. We need to access online stores like Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music, Amazon, and all these. Solomon Islands music is number 1 in the Pacific but the artists are not getting anything in return for all their hard work.

What advice can you give to any aspiring young person who would like to get involved in music?

Not everyone's calling is in music, but if you love it, then don't give up. Success belongs to those who keep on keeping on.

What do you want the government to do for music in the country?

As I've said earlier, people around the Pacific love Solomon's music. My friends in Fiji always say that Solomon's music is beautiful! But look at us, the artists. We earn nothing from all our hard work. I guess it's time the government thinks of ways to avail platforms which we will use to sell our music.

Thank you once again for taking the time to talk to us. All the best in your endeavors.  

Post a Comment